Tuesday 28 August 2007

Experimenting with Paint - Test One

I may have mentioned this in previous posts but I'm kind of relaunching myself at the moment. I started illustrating commercially in 2004, got disillusioned and unhappy with my work, had a year off (working a "real" job) in 2006 and have been rebuilding my style for the last 3 or 4 months.

I've been thinking I should work on softening one end of my work to increase my commercial potential. It's a bit cynical, but come on! I got bills to pay and I want to do this full time! So to that end I've been looking at a lot of more painterly illustrators and have started with this image to play in Photoshop to create some softer, more ethereal work.

The real trick will be to make it still look like like my work and a progression of style than a distinct different direction. This is test image one. Let's see where this goes.